Wednesday 25 October 2017

"Spamalot" by BMTG
Duchess Theatre, Long Eaton.
What can I say about this production? I've just about bored the pants off of everyone in the after show bar telling them that I'd seen "Spamalot", which is the theatrical equivalent of the Monty Python film, "Monty Python & The Holy Grail", about four times and loved it every time I'd seen it.
Every time you get to see "Spamalot" is different to the none you'll have seen before, thanks to the imagination of the Director, and this production has little bits that are slightly different, keeping the show fresh.
Beeston Musical Theatre Group celebrate their 50th year with a production that will have you crying..... with laughter. Everything about this production is spot on, and in my role as reviewer, knowing the cast and their history, I now tend to look for anything to critique, as I know it can be boring reading nothing but compliments and how good the show is. Unfortunately, i couldn't find anything to criticise, so it's going to be a review of how good the show is.
As my role as President of Beeston Musical Theatre Group I'm also proud, as well as pleased to do the same.
Directors Simon Owen and Christopher Collington has kept that comedy timing right up there, obviously with a little help from the cast. from speaking to many directors in the past, I know what a great deal of work goes into making a production a success, With comedies, the
pressure is also on to make a funny play funny for the audience and bringing that out of their cast isn't always a natural thing, but they did it.
Lucy Castle's choreography is worthy of any professional production you may see in any touring show.
The live 12 piece orchestra never sounded better, and with the electronic drums (Jack Helan) highlighting the 70's syn drum sound in the Act Two song "His Name Is Lancelot",it added a new sound to the already incredibly talented bunch of musicians. Under the musical direction of Sam Griffiths, the orchestra created a layered and lush backing.
There are some very clever lyrics and catchy melodies in this musical, so listen to the words and get the most out of the comedy songs, which include "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life"
The lighting for the show is just.... WOW!. You have to see it, the effects are timed to perfection and adds to the colourful spectacle that "Spamalot" is. Matthew Cook and Dave Martin have to be praised for a brilliant job, again , no surprise to me as I've witnessed their work in the past.
It's be so easy for me to say that the set was simple, but I also know what hard work goes into making a set, which may look simple, but is anything but!
Fantastic costumes, which while looking amazing aren't, for some of the cast the most comfortable after wearing them for any length of time.
It's very difficult for me to pinpoint any actor over the next because it's impossible for me to do that. Not just because I know the cast, but because every actor, whether they be in a main role or ensemble were amazing. I knew that I had confidence in every single person on that stage to deliver, and the delivery of their role was first class.
Kevin Chatten (King Arthur), Christopher Collington (Sir Robin), Simon Owen (Sir Lancelot), Rob Charles (Patsy), Martin Holtom (Sir Bedevere), Beth Yearsley (The Lady of the Lake), and David Hurt (Prince Herbert) were faultless. The comedy timing was so tight it almost squeaked. i could go on and on and on about the excellence of all the above actors but why should I? I know that they know what a great job they do, the standing ovations are proof of that, not only that but they're all probably tired of hearing me laud them to the heavens anyway! They are all ridiculously talented though.
As are the ensemble who added to the fun filled frolics, so I must spotlight them all as well.
Victoria Jane Appleton, Rachelle Bragg, Ronja Breitkopf (we'll miss you), Charlotte Howarth, Laura SuchCat Tuckey, Lotte Valks, Keli WainChris Bryan, Jane Cottee, Alex GrosseMina MachinRachel Maddison and Ruth Maddison.
And I mustn't miss out Tim Yearsley and the voice of Eric Idle as God and a killer performance by...... a rabbit. Plus several back stage stars making cameo appearances creating the "magic of theatre". Minnie Hurt also made a cameo debut appearance on Wednesday night.
I think you can see that the cast is not a small one.
I must also recommend buying a programme. I won't say why as once you've bought one, all will become apparent
Sometimes it's not easy reviewing shows, and I've learnt to choose my words carefully, and I know, because I've been told by actors and alike that they can read between the lines of what i write, to understand what I mean, or would really like to say. This has been the easiest of reviews to write because I love this show, even though I'm not a massive Python fan. I also know how much the cast love this show because that love shines from them all when they are on stage.
My only problem with writing this is keeping it within the realms of doing a "War & Peace" size review and not going too over the top and gushing. I hope that I have achieved that so that there's no fear of reading between the above lines.
"Spamalot" is at the Duchess Theatre, Long Eaton until Saturday 28 October 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment